As the new year kicks off, and the year of the Rooster lay dead ahead of us, we felt it would be a good idea to update y’all to the status of the MADE and its operations. We need some things to help us grow, but we’re off to a great start, ending 2016 with well over half of the money we earned in our Kickstarter still in the bank to ensure we’re stable going forward.
That said, we do have a few needs, some dire, some longer term, some nice to have. The dire need is for warm bodies. We need more volunteers. Local, remote, occasional or obsessive, whatever you’ve got, we’ll take it. We have great need for IT people of all stripes. Some of the tasks we need performed are as follows:
- We need a dedicated Web person to take care of our long neglected site. It’s overgrown, and needs some trimming and updating, as well as more regular content.
- We need more IT help. Stringing cables, installing cameras, maintaining classroom systems. It’s grunt work, but we need it!
- We need dedicated console people. Currently, we have John as our “Atari Guy.” He loves Atari and takes care of all the Atari stuff. Can you be our “Nintendo Person?” Our “Sega Master” or “Sega Mistress?” We need dedicated volunteers for Sega, Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, Handhelds, and just about every old home computer platform. Interested?
- We need more general volunteers. We’re entirely volunteer run, and the more volunteers we have, the less often people have to give up multiple weekends in a month to keep the place open. Duties include taking tickets, organizing, and teaching classes.
- We need more teachers! Come teach a class. Contact email@example.com to teach a class.
- We want more industry meetups. We have an audio developer meetup. Why not an artist meetup? Come discuss your recurring industry event!
- It would be very nice to have some volunteers looking to film podcasts or some such events at the MADE, particularly if they’re focused on learning or gaming history.
That’s it on the human needs, but there are some things we could use for our operations going forward. These are items that we either need a great deal, or we know we’ll need in the future and wish to get ahead of the curve.
- HDMI TVs.
- CD-I system, working
- TurboGrafx systems. We have only 2 (One’s on the floor playable!)
- GameCube controllers and systems.
- Wii U and accessories
- Computers less than 5 years old. Desktops and laptops.
- Your old game collection!
- Cable management systems
- Power bars and extension cables.
We greatly appreciate any help you can offer us in the new year. We’re trying not to ask for money directly, as we have a stream of revenue through the front door. Your volunteer help, however, could help us grow that revenue to the point where we can have a dedicated, paid staff to do all the day-to-day work of mopping, counting and emptying trash cans.
That’s not to say we’re not still looking for monetary donations. Every donation helps, and as you can see, we are extremely mindful of our funds. We want to pay staff from the admission fees, not from charitable donations. With your help, by the end of 2017, we’ll be able to do just that.